Tuesday, October 4, 2011

F is for Fall

An Outreach Storytime

Flannel Board:  Fall Riddles (Totline, July/Aug 2000, 12)

Beneath your feet you hear us crunch,
Then we get raked into a bunch.
What are we?  LEAVES

I drop off trees, and there I lie,
Till someone bakes me in a pie.
What am I?  AN APPLE

I stand in the field and scare a bird,
But I don't say a single word.
What am I?  A SCARECROW

I'm cold in autumn, if I blow,
I swirl the leaves and make a show.
What am I?  THE WIND

Of all the flowers, I am queen,
With yellow petals and seeds between.
What am I?  A SUNFLOWER

I'm big and orange and quite a catch,
When you pick me from the patch.
What am I?  A PUMPKIN

Book:  Little Bear's Big Sweater (Bedford)

Song:  A-C-O-R-N (tune: Bingo)
I made letters to hang from the flannel board, on the back of each letter is a picture showing hands clapping.  So as we sing the song I turn over a letter and we count how many "claps" we'll do.

There is a nut that squirrels like and acorn is it's name-o
A-C-O-R-N, A-C-O-R-N, A-C-O-R-N
And acorn is it's name-o.

Book:  The Busy Little Squirrel (Tafuri)

Action Song:  Autumn Leaves (tune: London Bridges)

Autumn leaves are falling down, falling down, falling down
Autumn leaves are falling down, Welcome Autumn.

Sweep the leaves and put them here, put them here, put them here
Sweep the leaves and put them here. Welcome Autumn!

Jump right in and have some fun, have some fun, have some fun
Jump right in and have some fun.  Welcome Autumn!

Book:  The little old lady who was not afraid of anything (Williams)
This is one of my all time favorite picture books!

No comments:

Post a Comment